If you would like to be a befriender and spend a little time supporting isolated people locally, calling in for a chat, doing a bit of shopping, you can join our growing team of friends that help out their neighbours. We can offer support, advice and training and help you get the right paperwork.
Communities Who Can has funding from Community Partnerships to support local people through a range of activities and befriending schemes run by our network of tenants and residents groups and local community led groups.
Contact us if you or someone you know might want to be involved in joining in our activities or becoming a befriender.
As a befriender you could join our growing team of friends that help their neighbours by:
• befriending isolated people in your neighbourhood by calling for them and having a chat, offering an understanding ear, or going for a walk together
• contacting your neighbour regularly by phone
• accompanying your neighbour to social activities and outings run by the local TRA and other community groups,
• supporting someone who is digitally excluded by helping them to access computers
• helping out with gardening, shopping, clearing paths of snow or leaves, emptying bins etc.
• encouraging people to join in local projects which might improve their health and wellbeing such as a local yoga group, healthy eating project, arthritis support group – or speaking to your TRA to help set one up if there isn’t one nearby
• share your skills and hobbies to help run activities e.g. calling bingo, driving, baking, telling others about events, leading a craft session.
We hope that whilst helping someone else you too will benefit from joining in activities and making new friends.
Let us know what you want to do and together with your local TRA we will support you. You can do as little or as much as you like or just come along and see what’s already happening in your area.
Help, advice, funding and training is available through Communities Who Can (KFTRA) and our partners. You can speak to your fieldworker or any member of staff about getting involved. Ring 225799, email email@example.com or contact us on Facebook at KFTRA in Kirklees. You can also get our new app with the QR code below